Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Vegetable gardening - August 2009

I tried to venture into vegetable gardening last month. My first taste of veggie gardening was when I was still a kid. I cultivated a tomato plant before. And when it grew to about 2 feet tall, I clumsily hit it with a ball. It died eventually of course. :(

Then last month, I decided to give veggie gardening a shot again. Our barangay (local barrio) gave out free seedlings of 5 different vegetable plants. I only knew 2 of them by looking at the leaves: ampalaya (bitter gourd) and Chinese kangkong (a variety of water spinach). The other 3 seedlings is a toss up among eggplant, green beans and cucumber (I guess). Funny, the barangay guy didn't know them too. :(

Some pictures I have taken since I transplanted them into bigger pots:

Ampalaya (bitter gourd) with make-shift trellis:



Chinese kangkong (water spinach variety):



Could this be green beans? Anybody who would know?


I don't know what's this (yet):

*Edited to add: This looks like a young Okra upon thorough research.

Appreciate who would know these plants. Thanks! :)

There are still others left to be transplanted. Hopefully I can find some time and good soil.

6 comments:

FC said...

whoah! This might help me on my diet commitment! Wow damo nom nom nom nom nom **faints** XD

Bert said...

ano ba to..kailangan ko stock picks..hinde gulay.....baka pulutin lang tayo sa kangkungan nito...at mauwi sa pagtanim ng kamote.......

Lester said...

@Hannah: You sure do! :)

@Berd: Haha! Madalas palpak stock picks ko lately. Gusto mo yun? :P

philos said...

How do you know what's a good soil anyhow?

Lester said...

@Philos: Hmm... I may not be the one whom you should ask of about this, but it seems to be that good soils are those of the loamy type, that is, not too sandy and not too "clay-ish." The use of the loamy soil is to hold water "just enough" for the plant. Sand is too loose to hold water, while clay is too good in retaining water that it becomes too clogged.

Raft3r said...

new post please
=)

happy sunday, lester!