Saturday, July 25, 2009

July 23 and 24 trades

The Philippine market was very good yesterday, breaking out of the recent high of 2,626 convincingly in very good volume (Php4.5 billion) in response to good corporate earnings in the US. PSEi closed 2,676 or 2.5% higher than last Thursday, but consolidating most of the Friday morning in the range of 2,646 to 2,656 (probably due to indecision after breakout by investors), before the bulls finally taking over during the last hour of trading. Immediate resistance is pegged at 2,750 to 2,780, which might be a tough nut to crack.

I'm seeing a beautiful inverse head and shoulders pattern, which is bullish, forming since mid-2008 until now (refer to the clickable picture below) Yesterday could be a sign that the neckline was broken with good volume. But there's an immediate resistance above it (or could this be the real neckline? Let's see).

PSEi daily (compliments of Yahoo! Finance):


RSI is already pointing a short-term overbought condition. MACD and RSI might test their previous highs as well (MACD - mid August 2008; RSI - Oct. 2007 and June 2009). My take is that we might experience some breather in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully consolidate for now as it will be healthier for the market in the long run.

-------------------

Trades:

Last Thursday, after seeing Republic Cement Corp. (RCM) shot up to ceiling with good volume before closing lower (sad to say that I was a bit too hesitant to buy this one due to its illiquidity), I bought a minuscule position in Holcim Cement (HLCM) at 3.55 thinking of sympathy play. But it didn't budge. I decided to cut this one out at one fluctuation lower.

I sold my entire position in LC for a quick 10% profit due to a heavy wall at 0.28 :). See my technical analysis of this in my previous post. I'll get back on this one at 0.25-0.26. Rumors were circulating that MVP and Lolo's prices were miles apart. Hmm...

I also sold my NI a little too early at an average price of 9.49 thinking it will have a hard time to break 10 due to high RSI and resistance. But the jockey has a different idea in mind. :( Yesterday, it went even higher. :( But still, it's a quick 10% profit. I should be content already thinking this was my biggest position last Wednesday. Maybe God is teaching me to be content with His blessings. :)

I was glad that this PAX finally got its feet moving last Thursday after almost a month of consolidating. But I quickly got rid also it for a 10% profit due to strong resistance at 3 area. I'll get back on this one if it goes back to its previous resistance of 2.65.

I also sold the rest of MEG at 1.14 for some coffee money and transferred all of it plus some more to GMA Network (GMA7) at 6.7. It broke out yesterday with volume. Potential target is 7.4 (previous high).

GMA7 daily (courtesy of COL):


To God be all the glory! :)

Potential stocks to trade next week:
I'm looking at going back to LC and PAX if my target buying area is achieved. I'm also thinking at going into certain blue chips again: one is the holding company that I mentioned before and another that is into power.

Composition:
GMA7 = 19%
TUNA = 13%
WEB = 11%
Odd-lots = 3%

Portfolio invested: 46%
Cash: 54%

2 comments:

Raft3r said...

interesting naman ng trabaho mo
i was thinking of buying gma stocks
ok pa ba?
thanks for visiting the deadbeat club, ha
see ya around!

Lester said...

Trading is not my full time work. It's just my sideline hehe.

As for GMA7, I think it's still OK. It needs to shoot past 6.8 before resuming uptrend and test 7.3. :)

Do you trade often?